After first profession, “…there begins a new period of religious formation, characterized by the philosophical and theological studies. This is carried out according to the norms of the Canon Law, and the most recent documents of the Magisterium, in order to achieve an authentic integral formation: human, spiritual, intellectual and pastoral formation” (Const., 258). We have Juniorate Houses in Argentina, Peru, Brazil, Italy, USA, and Egypt. The Juniorate House in the USA was opened in 2001.
As a continuing part of our formation in order that the sisters grow in our charism, our apostolate include the following:
- Catechism/Oratory: As our calling is to Evangelization of the Culture, our sisters are involved with the oratory and catechism programs at various parishes in the surrounding area:
- St. John Baptist de La Salle Catholic Church, Chillum, MD (IVE parish)
- St. James Catholic Church, Mt. Rainier, MD (IVE parish)
- St. Martin de Tours Catholic Church, Gaithersburg, MD
- St. Andrew’s Catholic Church, Silver Spring, MD
- St. Matthew’s Cathedral, Washington, DC
- Holy Comforter St. Cyprian, Washington, DC
- St. Joseph’s on Capitol Hill, Washington, DC
- St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Landover Hills, MD
- University and School Apostolates: We also have been invited to accompany student groups at two local universities. Two of our sisters are also part-time classroom assistants at a local Catholic elementary school.
- George Washington University, Washington, DC
- University of Maryland, College Park, MD
- St. Jerome’s Academy, Hyattesville, MD
The Immaculate Heart of Mary
The feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary stems from the efforts of St. John Eudes to inspire devotion to the heart of Mary. In 1649, he won approval for a Mass of the Immaculate Heart of Mary to be celebrated locally. In 1855, the Congregation of Rites approved a Mass for the feast, and in 1880, Pope Leo XIII extended it to the whole diocese of Rome. The 1917, appearances of Mary to three children at Fatima led to a greater confirmation of the devotion. In 1942, Pope Pius XII consecrated the world to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, an act which St. John Paul II renewed in communion with all the bishops of the world on March 25, 1984.